POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : question about seed() and random() : Re: question about seed() and random() Server Time
6 Sep 2024 04:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: question about seed() and random()
From: Ken
Date: 24 Feb 1999 09:37:05
Message: <36D40E0B.DFE8B1A5@pacbell.net>
bassompierre laurent wrote:

> I'm writing a pov file like this :
> #declare Obj=array[5]
> #declare Obj[0]=object{Myobject0}
> #declare Obj[1]=object{Myobject1}
> #declare Obj[2]=object{Myobject2}
> #declare Obj[3]=object{Myobject3}
> #declare Obj[4]=object{Myobject4}
>
> #declare R=seed(1);
> #declare C=1;
> #while (C<5)
>     object {Obj[int(rand(R)*4) Obj_Mod ....}
>     #declare C=C+1;
> #end
> The question is : will i get the same values for rand(R), each time i render
> my file ?

Just had a thought and I have no idea if it would work but you might try
something like:

#declare C=1;
#while  (C<5)
#declare R=seed(C);
object...

This will change the seed value for each iteration of the loop.
Pov might also choke to death on it and it may not work. It was
just a thought I had and is untested.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net